Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My Family Health Binder

To see an update on how I'm using our health binder more often click here.

Right before we got married Nathan's mom kept mentioning a health binder. I kind of knew what she was referring to but I wasn't exactly sure what would go in it. It seemed tedious.. can't you just file the important stuff away and get rid of what you don't need? Well, yes. 

This way, we would have our information together and in one place. If, God forbid, something happened to one of us, we would have one binder with everything in it.

After our honeymoon we lived with Nathan's parents for a little until we left for DC. Life was crazy at that point but Nathan's mom printed off some sheets and got my health binder all set up. It was so nice of her and she even included some of Nathan's shot information. (It was written on super cute baby paper from when he was born..awww).

So anyways, after we got settled in DC I wanted to put my information in it and start getting organized.

Want to make your own health binder? All you really need is a binder, and maybe some dividers. If you want to get fancy you can use some scrapbook paper and stickers, but it's not necessary.


As you can see, I have really awesome hand writing and an obsession with flower stickers! 


I wasn't crazy about the plain white on each end of the binder, so I just trimmed some scrapbook paper and added some scrapbook tape to the back. I didn't cover the pocket, so it can still be used.

I also included some business card holders and plain sheet covers. This will be for pamphlets, random information, etc.


Back to the flower obsession. The stickers really added some pizazz, don't you think? Anyways, you can see that the first tab is Shots. This is where I have hole punched Nathan's shot history, my shot history, and I'll add any other dates of shots we get in the future.


The next divider was business cards. This is where I'll put business cards of all doctors we have. I'll probably do one side for Nathan's doctors and one side for mine. Since we just moved, this section is empty. 


Next up is Doctor's Information. I'm not 100% sure what I'll put here, but probably directions to offices,  or maybe pamphlets from particular appointments. Like I said, I don't have anything here because we don't have any doctors yet!

As you can see from the pictures, the last few dividers are Medications and Perscriptions, History, and Tests. These ones are pretty obvious. The prescription divider will be the most important one for me-- I used to lose prescriptions all the time! I also put Nathan's contact information in the Rx section, for when he needs more contacts. 

History is pretty self explanatory, but I did make up a short list of our medical history. This is quite basic (because we're young, don't have kids, and we are generally pretty healthy) for us, but I hope with time it will become more extensive. Diabetes runs in my family as well as Melanoma, so that is written on "my" side of the medical history sheet. Like I said, it's very basic-- it's up to you how thorough you want to be!

Tests is empty for now. The sheets that my MIL printed off said to always ask for results of any test you take. I guess in the future when we have any tests done, we'll include the results in this section. 

I'm not sure if I will to silly check ups, but it's a good idea to bring this binder with you to more important appointments! I think especially so if you're forgetful like me about your prescriptions. :) 

Keep some scratch paper in here for notes, along with extra business card holders and clear plastic sheet protects.

Have any questions on creating your own family medical binder? Comment below! Feel free to email me at elboese@yahoo.com. 

Be sure to check our the updated post here.

No comments:

Post a Comment